Friday 27 January 2023

Usable Memcache

 I like simple.

Memcache is simple.

But sometimes it's maybe too simple.

I needed a substrate for holding session data which was accessible from more than one host (and potentially, more than one application). Given the lack of persistence in memcache I had a look at Couchbase....and found something even more bewildering than Oracle! Redis looked like it wouldn't take me weeks to get running, but while frequently touted as a replacement for memcache, I couldn't find any documentation stating whether it had a binary compatible memcache interface. So back to memcache.

First problem: I want high availability - that means more than one instance. Oh, C(r)AP! Sharding is easy enough, but replication needs a bit more work. A bit of digging and I found mcrouter which, along with haproxy means I can have load balancing and failover. But recovery is still missing. 

The memcache distribution comes with a Perl script which will copy memcache data from another instance. However when I tested it, I found the copy operation was very lossy - I was only getting around 70% of the data across to the new instance (HIGHLY variable) when hammering the source with a 1:1 mix of updates and gets. A bit disappointing - but understandable really. Maintaining a consistent list of all known items would add a lot of complexity and performance problems.

After a bit of reading I implemented and tested my own script using lru_crawler. Although still not perfect, in testing it was achieving >99%, again while the source was getting hosed. This is now available at https://github.com/symcbean/mcseed/blob/main/mcseed.php 


I disabled the package systemd unit file and created my own which uses a shell script to

  1. Block external access to the memcache and mcrouter ports
  2. start the memcache binary
  3. run mcseed to populate the cache
  4. allow incoming traffic to the mcrouter and memcache ports

Job done.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment