Friday, 6 June 2008

Blackberry blues

Work has decided I need a Blackberry. So after a mere two months procurement process an 8800 appeared. It took me about 3 hours to find the first bug in the software (browser does not accept a cookie suplied in a HTTP 302 response) still I was trying to look on the bright side. Having previously worked for a company selling ringtones, I thought it would be a good idea to add something a bit out of the ordinary. But having previously worked in the industry, the last thing I would do is actually buy one from one of the many suppliers! Fate helped things along when I saw bluetooth USB dongles in my local Tesco for £7. It wasn't long before I had it plugged into my computer and the relevant software up and running. Unfortunately, although I could get the devies to pair, the only service I could get working was kbluelock - the Obex push client just couldn't see the device.

A bit of research suggested that this is a common problem - Blackberries won't talk to the BlueZ stack.

Ho hum.

Meanwhile, having built a test rig and demonstrated the browser problem, I tried reporting the fault to Vodafone. They've written back asking for lots and LOTS of information none of which relates to the bug. I spent less time re-writing the web application I was trying to access then I have trying to satisfy the requests from the support department - who don't seem to understand how their own software works.

No comments:

Post a comment