Saturday, 17 August 2013

Starting a new website - part 3

So the decision was made, I would stick with Dokuwiki and use PJAX for loading the pages.

A bit of coding and hey

(live site is sill running an incomplete version of the code - note to self - get the current version deployed)

In order to structure the Javacript changes nicely, keep everything tidy and fit in with Dokuwiki too, the functionality is split across a syntax plugin (for implementing widgets, including initializing PJAX, fixing the problems introduced by defering loading of the javascript and accomodating a strict Content Security Policy). This then places some constraints on how further widgets are implemented so it's really a framework (yeuch!). Anyway the plugin is called Jokuwiki

In order to use PJAX, the source page needs to be slightly modified (but it's JUST 5 LINES OF CODE!):

if ('true'!=$_SERVER['HTTP_X_PJAX']){ part of page
} ?><div id="pjax-container">
....stuff loaded via pjax
if ('true'!=$_SERVER['HTTP_X_PJAX']){
....bottom part of page

But just to make it real easy, I published a template too. Not the one I used on my website - but if anyone want it....let me know.

The impact of PJAX on performance is rather large:

Of course it had to be deployed to the site. So I dusted down pushsite and fired it up with a recipe for deploying the site. About 50 files loaded then I stopped getting responses from the remote system. I ran it again.....a further 20. The socket was still connected but nothing happening. Switching to passive mode didn't help. Adding throttling didn't help. I spent several hours battling with it and gave up. Same story the following day - so I logged a call with the service provider. The following day, they suggested using a different FTP server.....same problem. They said they'd get back to me.

Since I had no ssh access, I couldn't unpack a tarball from the shell - doing it via a PHP script invoked from the web would have meant I'd have to spend just as much time fixing the permissions as uploading the stuff by hand. But a bit of rummaging around in cpanel and I found that there was a back/restore option running over HTTP - so I download a backup, unpacked it, overwrote the backed-up website with my new site, packed it up and restored it onto the server. Job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment